Tuesday, March 31, 2009
God is hard
I found another note, stuck in the old bookcase in the dining room. This one says, "Challenging you" and I believe it was spoken by someone who was saying that living a faith life is one of that ilk. That God is always challenging you. God is not an easy task master. Belief is hard. Sometimes, almost impossible. And not only when the bad things happen, either. Sometimes when life is so good, its almost too good, God is practically irrelevant. We had a discussion in our adult Sunday School class the other week and one of the members of the class said, that she thought that a faith life was hard on purpose. That if it was easy, it wouldn't really be what God wanted you to do. I don't know if I believe that or not. On the one hand, God is probably way to busy with every thing else going on to be worried about whether my faith life is hard or easy. On the other hand, God is of course, going to be paying attention to me and since he loves me, he'll want me to be the best person I can be, which usually means I have to "grow". Growing usually involves changing and changing as far as I'm concerned is not something I go out of my way to experience if I can help it. Therefore, God is hard. The logic of this is either rock solid, or I'm standing in a puddle of quicksand. I'm not sure which. I'll let you know either because I've changed, or drowned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment