When I get home from work, especially in the months of November and December I let out the cat and try to grab all the mail from the little red mailbox attached to the wall next to the front door. I say try to grab because during these months the mail box is stuffed with catalogs, flyers, junk mail and more catalogs. 'Tis the season you know. All this stuff. Who buys all this stuff? From weird little photo holders to Hans Solo in Carbonite as a desk. I really can't imagine who buys this stuff. The Sharper Image is always entertaining, but the Orvis catalog? Not so much. The really amusing thing, though is how my husband plunks them on the table to peruse after dinner. He excitedly points out the more bizarre and outlandish items, trying to goad me into either thinking he really is excited about the items or that this is something that we really can't do without. This never really works, but I give him points for sincerity.
There are people who buy this stuff, right? I mean they don't just make these catalogs to peruse. People with money to burn (who are they?) must sometimes purchase stuff out of there, right? I just don't know anybody that does.
Now I'm not talking about the "mainstream" catalogs, like L.L. Bean or even the Current Catalog which has stationery and stamps and even checkbooks for crying out loud. These are what I would call normal things. No, the over-the-top catalogs are the ones I'm talking about. They're entertaining, sure, but really besides Donald Trump, who has the money for this stuff?
Maybe someday when I win the lottery and don't know what to do with all my millions, I'll consent to buy my son that Hans Solo desk, but maybe I'll invest instead in a new larger mailbox and keep myself entertained for the rest of the holiday season.
2 comments:
Actually, I've long remembered the catalog "shopping" at this time of year, kind of fondly. I remember finding the low-brow ones around Mom-Mom & Pop-Pops place although I'm mentally challenged now to think of all the names of those. Spencer's Gifts is the only one that really sticks. But I remember seeing the ones occasionally from Hammacher Schlemmer, too, which then makes me think of the Department store near Philly that had the annual TV show which showed all the weird gifts that ONLY they would sell (what was the name of that store?). I think that that was the first infomercial we were ever exposed to, but it was soooo novel, it seemed like a "special". I think it was kind of like a precursor to Nordstrom's. What was the name of that store?
Okay, I have no idea...how could I not remember something like that? Maybe other sibs remember??
Post a Comment