Monday, October 11, 2010

Age Musing

I turned 56 the other day. When I say that out loud, I don’t cringe. Or shudder. I smile. I say I bought my red hat pin and intend to wear it proudly on my lapel. But in the inner self, I don’t think I’m so thrilled. Not that the alternative is better. Not that I want to go backwards, except sometimes. Sometimes I do want to go backwards. But with the knowledge I have now. I want to view the world as a twenty-something with the fifty-something mentality. Maybe the world or at least my choices would have made more sense then. Maybe I would have been wiser in some of my choices. Maybe not.

Anyway, 56 is my age. Within that time I have married, helped to raise two kids—successfully I might add. They are wonderful young people. I have worked inside and outside of the home, full and part time. I’ve kept a sort of clean home—the Board of Health hasn’t caught up with me yet at any rate. Is the fact that I have done those things, sometimes well and sometimes not the sum and total of who I am? No. They point to who I am. They are nuances of who I am. But they are not the “me” in my skin. The “me” who listens to Frank Sinatra because I like his voice and the songs. Who sings along with show tunes because I like them and know the words. Who taps her foot to the Who, the Stones and the Beatles as well. The me whose running commentary while driving is not always the nicest, Christian way of looking at things, which is what I claim to be. I was reading a book (of course I was reading a book, I’m almost always reading a book) that said I should observe the way I view my life. For some it’s a carousel, for some it’s a trial. But I thought of mine like a journey. And I’ve been on this journey for 50 plus years. A lot of people my age say they remember saying to their friends when they were much younger, that people in their fifties were old. But I don’t remember saying that kind of thing. My grandmothers were old, but I don’t remember thinking that that was necessarily a bad thing to be. I liked my grandmothers. I never thought of my mother as old. Or my father either. They were ageless entities. Always there. Until my dad wasn’t anymore. But my mother is there and still outside the bounds of age. I don’t know why this is. Age just wasn’t important to me. I didn’t pray to God to make me old enough to drink or vote. I just accepted age as what happened when you lived day to day and you didn’t die before you woke up. I supposed at one time I might have lamented not being old enough for something. But I honestly can’t remember wishing to be older. But I didn’t wish to be ancient either. Or crotchety. Or infirm. I’m not--yet. Will I be? I find myself wondering about “what’s around the bend”. Suddenly thinking of growing older. Its’ a new experience for me.

5 comments:

JES said...

There seems to be a lot of this sort of thing in the air. On the way to work this morning, The Missus told me she's suddenly got mortality on her mind -- not just her own, but everybody's. I told her I loved her, too. :)

Funny -- over the weekend I found a picture online of a Broadway show composer taken in 1945, the year he turned 60. Next year will be my 60th, and all I could think as I examined the photo of this tubby, balding, bespectacled dude in his three-piece suit was, Damn, JES. You're lookin' GOOD for your age. So there's that.

(On the other hand, who knows what the next eight months will bring. I could very well be stooped and infirm by then, and then won't HE have the last laugh? Damn him.)

Presumably you've played the "This year, I'm the age that Mom/Dad was when X happened" game? Always an eye-opener.

Mike said...

I hate to say it, but I think about all of this, these days, WAY too much. It seems to be part of my "stuck-ness". what if at this certain age I had only done this, instead? what if I do this at this age, now? What will this mean? What won't it mean?
I don't really remember thinking much about how old our parents/grandparents were, either, at the time. But now, I do, quite frequently. BL was "only" 56-57 when Bud died. At 53, now, how do I feel/think about those circumstances? How would I feel about being in those shoes at that age? Morris was in his forties (?) when he started on disability/had his first heart attack? Makes me thankful to be where I am on this curve, but as events of the last month or so have shown us, none of us has an idea when that curve ends.

@JES: Don't worry about your parenthetical - I dare say he's been gone quite a while and is closer to dust than stooped and infirm.

JES said...

Well, now that we're all good and depressed, I hope you're happy.

Mike said...

well, that does seem to be my raison detré these days...

hyo cynth said...

I prefer to think of this as making us look at each other and smiling as we grope our way along the trails. And when I think of both of you, knowing that you're healthy and I can talk to you whenever I find you, I am very happy!