Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Everyday-ness of Everyday

There is a song by Sondheim which talks about all the people coming off a train and mingling with all the hundreds of other people so that they are indistinguishable from all the people that were there before them...and even after them. Sometimes the days are like that. Each day is the same as the day before that and the day that comes after is the same. The weather changes somewhat, sunny, cloudy, rainy, snowy. But the days progress one after another in a straight line on into the future. When you have reached a level of some proficiency in your job and your job is essentially the same every day, then the sameness bleeds into the hours and the days and the weeks and oh-my-heavens the years before you even know it.

I went to pick up the hubby at the train station today and I realized that the previous days had seemed to be like a carbon copy of the previous week and the same of the week before.

The plants need to be watered, the cat needs to be fed, the dishes are fed dirtily into the dishwasher only to be revived again after they are cleaned to be put on the shelf to be made dirty again. Cycle after cycle after cycle. The sun unfolds sleepily in the morning and droops back into the horizon at evening. And it was morning and it was evening...that's from Genesis.

I'm not going to talk about the surprise of each new day in this post. Because I didn't feel it today. I do some days. Some days I am astonished at the variety of life and experiences all around me. But not today. Today I'm looking forward to falling into bed to be awakened by the grudging grayness of another morning. And another hundred people just got off of the train, and the plane and the bus.

No comments: