Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Is That the Only Thing Wrong?

I noticed something today of which I'm not particularly proud. Because of my hearing disability I don't seem to be particularly kind to others with disabilities. I've been in close proximity lately with a young lady with Down's syndrome. She is eager to help out in the office and is generally congenial. But, I cannot for the life of me understand what she is saying. It doesn't matter if my hearing aids are turned up or re-tuned or anything. I simply cannot understand what she is saying. So therefore, I appear rude to her, I'm sure. I'm brusque when she asks me a simple question (of course, I assume it's simple--she could be asking me the square root of something--I have no idea). I avoid running into her if I can help it. I can't tell if this is because I don't want the aggravation of asking her multiple times to repeat what she just said, or if it's because I really don't know if it would embarrass her more than me. I just don't want the hassle. Eww! Did you hear that? See what I mean? I wouldn't begin to know how to explain this to her. And I'm not sure she would "get it" anyway. So instead, I cower behind my desk or rush out of the room if I know she is coming in, so I don't have to deal with it. Not too sensitive, hunh?

I really don't know what the answer to this is, do I have to explain to her that I cannot hear her and would she shout from then on, obliterating any hope of understanding her? Do I keep doing what I'm doing? She will not be working during the summer I don't think, which I believe is a blessing for me as I will be in the office alone with her and I don't think I could manage. Ah, phooey. I guess I'm supposed to learn something from this, but the message is all garbled anyway.

No comments: