Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Moonrakers

While hubby and I were perusing the local paper the other night we became aware that the house we first lived in together was on the market. Yep, the first house we fixed up, re-wired, painted, papered and had our first child in was for sale. The owners who are selling it obviously have done some work since we lived there. The ad states it has an eat in kitchen. The little galley kitchen we used barely had room to turn around in, so obviously it has been upgraded. I have dreamed of that house repeatedly. In those dreams it is still the cute little place where I learned to be a wife, then a mommy. In the dreams though, I am always leaving it for somewhere. I don't know what that means in "dream speak". I don't think I care really. Our daughter laughingly said we should buy it and thereby come full circle. And so help me, I thought, maybe that was a good idea. But hubby and I, if we ever move, want something on one floor. Something that as the little old people we are becoming can stay in and not worry about climbing onto the roof of the porch to fix it or climbing into the attic to find out what was leaking into the kitchen. So practicality has been our motto; if we ever move. Still it was fun to reminisce about the ol' homestead. And think what life was like then and how it has become now. The sale sign is gone now and I'm sure some young couple has begun their new life there. I wish them luck and happiness. Something the house seemed to bring to us. We've been to Moonrakers and we've moved on.

2 comments:

JES said...

As long as you've... what was the phrase? -- as long as you didn't stay too long! (Er, was that it???)

That was a nice house. Not Talking Stairs, of course. But I still come across photos taken at Moonrakers, especially in the back yard.

And we got an Atari flashback game a few years ago -- the same old console, with the same old retro joysticks, just with some additional games loaded on. It was IMPOSSIBLE to play the "Adventure" dragon-hunting/-hunted game without thinking of Moonrakers.

Mike said...

I'm not exactly sure where to land in this comment box.

I barely remember the kitchen at all, but still have a rendering of a proposed "deck" reno for you and the hubster. Early Gehry influence. I remember thinking: sure it's weird, but it's Cindy and Tom - they've got great imaginations! PVC and Chain link forever!

I remember removing the wall paper and carpet in the Dining Room and refinishing/painting the floor and walls there. Spent a vacation scraping the front porch windows down to the wood and repainting. I can picture ascending/descending both sets of stairs but go blank about what was at the top or bottom of either.

Other memories, too, but can't imagine they would enhance the sale price, however.