Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Moodish Posting
I'm grumpy today. And grousing about everything. To get the true picture of my grumbling mood, you would only need to see where I'm writing this post. I'm on the porch with the cat. Yes, that cat. She is stretched out on the rug to the right of the couch without a care in the world. She has trailed food all over the floor out here. But it bothers her not one whit. Why, if she bothers me so much am I sitting here then? Well, the side porch which she has been delegated to due to her unpredictable toiletry habits is the only place where I can sit comfortably with an open window and a ceiling fan. I could sit at the kitchen table and have done so on occasion. But I needed to slouch today and this couch is perfect for that. I won't be able to slouch in it much longer though. We have a new sofa on order, something well made and not as, well, slouchy. Which my back and my husband's back will truly appreciate. But in a bad mood, slouching is so much better on this piece of furniture. Should you ask me why I'm so grumpy today, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Nothing cataclysmic happened at work. No screaming parents, scheming students, annoyed administrators. Nope, nothing. But things just feel off today. As if the universe is wobbling slightly off kilter and no one notices but me.
Maybe its because our neighbors moved and the new people are puttering around changing things. Maybe because the other neighbors across the street are moving as well and their entrepreneurial offspring will be leaving the street bereft without the permanent lemonade stand erected every other week to supplement their television watching addiction (cable costs quite a lot). Maybe it's because the neighbor on the other side, can't quite bring herself to run the leaf blower until 6:00 every night as we sit down to eat and I'm kind of sick of closing the window to drown out the sound.
When I force myself to stop and listen, the birds are singing. The planes are droning overhead. There is a slight breeze shushing through the leaves. The sun has decided to come out after myriads of days hiding behind monstrous gray billows. But the cat is now noticing me and meowing in that quavering voice of hers which drives me to distraction. And I'm left trying to find some contentment and failing miserably.
I have nothing to complain about, but I'm doing it anyway. Shame on me. Oh, good, now I can feel guilty as well as grumpy. I'll try working this out, but in the meantime, you should go read someone else's post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh, you -- you... you curmudgeon, you.
Will the new couch be in place before the return of the prodigal in a few days? Does he know slouching will be a thing of the past? Don't expect gratitude, and not at all because he's the ungrateful sort. But guys don't like giving up our little loose end of disorder. (Well, your husband is probably an exception in that regard as in many others.)
plplplplpl!!!!
With lots of slobber at the end.
Welcome to grump world. The line starts behind me.
Ah it's so nice to have brothers to comfort and console and spit at me...thanks to you both. You'll be happy to know I'm feeling much more my usual self today, even after the root canal!
No the sofa won't be here by the time Stu arrives Tuesday. He's actually never really liked this couch, nor the daughter either. You'll have to ask them why. Something to do with their childhood no doubt, with deprivation somehow thrown in.
Post a Comment