Think back, if you can to the days of childhood, when summer was endless. From the time school let out until the time you were fitted for pinching shoes and crinkly crinolines, the golden days were yours to master. Running, jumping, spitting, roller-skating, bike riding or laying in the grass and watching the bulbous clouds form make-believe animals, they were endless. Stretching out into the horizon like riding a wave of ribbon with no end to the spool. From the time you woke up in the morning, energized in a way that was impossible all the rest of the year, to the time you crashed back on the pillow; there were things to see, do, inspect, watch for hours at a time. Time was all we had to worry about. And there is the thing that eludes us as we, the adult have six million things to worry about during the summer and beyond. We don't have those endless days anymore. We have endless worries, problems, situations, concerns. They string along like beads on that endless ribbon we rode so carefree as children.
But we get blips now and then, wrinkles in the ribbon, in between the beads. Those nights of balmy, breezy, soft summer nights. When you laugh with friends, share a good bottle of wine or beer, listen to the katydids and for one chunk of time, just be. Eating ice cream (or frozen yogurt) and remember how it was to just enjoy the summer, on a nice summer night.
2 comments:
A couple of thoughts:
(1) I don't know that I had any more energy in the summer than I did in winter. I was probably marginally "happier" in summer, though, back in those pre-A/C days!
(2) I also worried quite a bit back then. Maybe it was only five million things instead of six, but of course my head was smaller then. :)
This was a lovely, evocative read, Cyn. Lots of memories packed into a very few words... I wish, how I wish I had that knack!
It seems my summer started with a beautiful day in NYC with my Sis - then "poof" - gone!
those summers in & around 710 did seem to go on and on...
Post a Comment