There's a new fashion trend. I don't know what this fashion "thing" is called, but it is a hat with ears on the top and a loooonnnnggg scarf attached to it with mittens or gloves at the end of the scarf. I'm sure it's meant to be cute on little kids and perhaps pre-teen girls. But I've noticed that older kids are wearing them, too. Largish teens, males especially, appear almost menacing when they 'round the corner at the local shops downtown wearing what I assume is meant to be a cuddly teddy bear, but gives the impression of a grizzly when perched atop a 6 foot football player. They, the guys, don't appear to notice the small squeak of a little old lady when she is confronted with this sight. They continue lumbering on their way to the local Starbucks, looking more like a herd of foraging beasts than the cute, cuddly, innocuous beasties they are meant to be. Or maybe they do know how intimidating they appear. Who knows what goes on in the minds of large teenage boys? Certainly not me! But it can be a jolting sight.
Let me explain. I was on my way home from a committee meeting the other night. My sight in the evening is not the best, so I'm careful while navigating back streets especially, where pedestrians roam and frequently come out from behind parked cars in an effort to test my reflexes. Suddenly, in my peripheral vision I saw a large fuzzy head, with ears standing straight up. It was coming up on my right rather quickly. It appeared to be getting ready to cross in front of me, but it was walking upright! I had seen deer dart in front of me, but what was this hairy beast approaching on two feet? Could Bigfoot be in the neighborhood? And would he be wearing a flannel shirt and sneakers? But no, it was a large young man with a cat-like thingee draped on his head and around his neck. It even had a little pink tongue sticking out, which could have appeared cute on someone else, but on this hulking brute it looked like a demon from hell. Needless to say, I stomped on the brake and waited until the apparition has disappeared before shuddering and driving on. I hope this trend doesn't last too long. My imagination is getting away with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment