Monday, May 9, 2016

The White Rabbit

We have wild bunnies in the backyard. We have had them for quite some time actually. Not hordes of them, just an occasional two or three. It's not a new development. I have taken to addressing them while coming to and from the house. "Good morning," I say conversationally to the one munching shamrocks in the yard next to the driveway. Sometimes, if they are IN the driveway when I have to go to work, I request they move to the grass. They almost always comply. I like rabbits. Always have. What's not to like? They are cute, fuzzy, don't attack (except in Monty Python movies) and are fun to watch as they gambol in the yard as the summer sneaks in.

But recently, within the last month or two, we have noticed a new bunny. Now, I don't recognize the others, hopping about, by any special markings. I haven't named them or anything. But this new one is well, different. He is white. Not white white like an albino. But his coat is white mixed with the browns and blacks of the his fellow yard inhabitants. And lest you think I've lost my mind--no, he is not wearing a vest with a pocket watch, exclaiming about lateness and running down a hole enticing me to follow--he acts just the same as the other bunnies. He just stands out in his unique coloring. If I was a believer in reincarnation, I would assign him to several of my loved ones that would come back in this form to visit. But I don't really believe in reincarnation, so it's a moot point, although fun to think about. He is there most mornings and early evenings. He makes me think of the book Watership Down and the ways of the rabbits in that adventure. We had a stray cat amble through the yard the other day and hubby and I were chagrined enough to go out and chase it away, lest it decide that rabbits were on the menu for the evening. Its such a quirk of nature to have it there. And even if you find yourself staring out into the yard, not really looking at anything in particular, it will arrest your eyes.

Nature is such a interesting and alluring thing. I remember watching bugs as a child for hours on end. Seeing how they interact with plants, other bugs and obstacles placed in their way. Watching nature, for me is a hobby like reading or knitting (although I am abysmal in the knitting efforts). I do it all the time. We have had the joy of seeing some rarely seen species of bird in the yard, but merely sitting quietly and observing for long periods of time. I am almost always amazed at the variety of birds and beasts, large and small in this ol' world. The white rabbit for me is a reminder that the world is a wondrous place and full of unexpected surprises.

No comments: