Thursday, April 16, 2009

Go out and play

"I cannot go outside today,"
said little Peggy Ann McKay.
I have the measles and the mumps
A gash, a rash and purple bumps."

This is from a poem by Shel Silverstein. He was one of my favorites. I loved to read them to the kids. They would laugh out loud at some of his better lines. I was thinking of this poem today, though because it is Spring outside and I'm inside. I'm not sick or anything. But I just got home from work and the gym and I'm tired. But it's so beautiful out there! The trees are flowering, the forsythia are blooming, the hyacinths are stinking up the place and my new little tree I planted last fall is showing signs of making it through the winter (YIPEE). It is a joyous time, Spring. I don't know how my older brother can stand not experiencing the seasons. I mean, aren't flowers always blooming in Florida?? I know, I know, people's hay fever or whatever they're allergic to is starting to "spring up" as well. But the sky is Pacific Blue, the blue of Dorothy's gingham dress from the Wizard of Oz, the blue of my children's eyes (and okay, my husbands' as well). There is a slight breeze that whispers of fresh air and more sunshine to come. I wait for this time of year. It doesn't make me sad like Fall. Or cranky like Summer and well, Winter, too come to that. Although Winter makes up for everything with Christmas. Everything is straining to grow upward, and show itself off during this season. I know I'm being fanciful, but I can't help it. So I'm going to turn off the computer now and go outside and just sit on the step, like I used to do when the kids were napping in the afternoon. And just breathe.

No comments: