It stopped raining today. Just a little while ago. I was so happy to see that strange yellow light in the sky and then I came outside and it's sticky. Too hot combined with all that rain. I feel like I must be living in the tropics or some rain forest. Ewww. I wanted a spring breath, and instead I got the inside of the whale. This must be the way Jonah felt. It's too steamy to take a deep breath, so I breathe shallowly, thereby producing either little colored dots dancing before my eyes, or people step away before they catch whatever it is I've got, which is nothing, but it looks like something so they step away.
I know it's kind of mean, but the cat wanted to go out so I let her. She'll sit and pant on the back deck steps staring accusingly at the back door, waiting to be let in. BUT SHE WANTED TO GO OUT! It makes no difference. I'm always at fault in her eyes. Of course, she's always at fault in mine so I guess we're even.
I've sequestered myself in the living room. There are no direct rays which can penetrate here. It's sort of like a cave. Except with windows. But the storm windows are still in, so there's no movable air. But the house is brick so it's cool air, until tomorrow when the house realizes that it's hot out, so it will drop it's overcoat over the outside and the heat will be trapped within, thereby eliminating any place to hide. I'll open the windows, and the steam will permeate the inside of the house and I'll be no better in than out. Such is the cycle of the seasons.
I'm not happy.
2 comments:
Did you ever play (or watch your young man play) the Zelda/Ocarina of Time game on the N64? At one point the little hero has to rescue a princess (not Zelda!) who has managed to get herself trapped inside Lord Jabu-Jabu: a giant fish. (Although you can customize it, his default name is "Link." I'll use that name here.) Link has to move from one organ to another inside Lord Jabu-Jabu; they're the size of, like, caves, and their walls are slimy, and they're full of Various Unpleasant Creatures which Link must vanquish.
(And then when he actually finds the snooty b!tch, she demands that he carry her overhead -- which means in order to do anything with his hands he's got to put her down, do whatever, and pick her up again.)
This has always been one of my least favorite levels, in any Zelda game, because in my head I'm imagining the Jonah scenario (and silently thanking the gods that the gamemakers didn't have the option of stimulating my sense of smell, ew.).
I actually remember that level. I thought she was the most annoying character ever! I had forgotten about her until now. I used to watch Steven play all the time. I would read on the couch and if he got stuck, I would ask if he used the iron boots, or the fire-proof outfit or whatever and eventually he and I would get through it. I've just thought of a lovely mother's day blog. Thanks.
Post a Comment