Sitting in the quiet, having removed the hearing aids
I watch the wind rhythmically push the limbs on the trees outside
As the snow swirls round about.
Will it accumulate? The way it is predicted?
The flickers from the television in the room next door
Tell me the husband is watching sports
Or maybe "This Old House", trying to figure out
How to make this one younger again.
I can barely hear the clicking of the keys on the keyboard
and there is a faint rumble from the furnace or is it the TV?
It's cold out there, winter is whispering
Dancing in the dark with snowflakes the size of postage stamps.
Neath the glow of the streetlight, it comes down horizontally
Glistening and flashing to the ground, sometimes laying there
Sometimes disappearing onto the blacktop.
I have not liked winter this year with its constant cold and snow
And the need to bundle up and walk like penguins to just get to the car.
But the silence of a winter evening is alluring
And pretends to be something that it really isn't.
I'd like winter if it was warmer...
No comments:
Post a Comment