One of the main parts of my job at work these days is feeding the data base information about attendance. I work in two different elementary schools and the data base must be fed a certain way each day to record attendance. When I began working at these elementary schools I became aware of one in particular thing I had taken for granted when I worked at the board of education office. The board office has faster machines. They seem light years ahead when I think of it now. I could turn on the machine and actually be working within 10 minutes of pushing the start button. Now I have time to go get coffee, walk around the building and teach a third grade class handwriting before it even gets to my e-mail! I was lamenting just today to one of the wonderful, generous and helpful tech people (hey! I'm being sincere!), when he asked me to re-boot just to see. We stood and chatted for a few minutes, and he looked at the computer screen. I smiled sweetly. We chatted for a few minutes more and he again looked over at the screen--still not up and running yet. His face twitched, but we continued on with the discussion at hand. Finally, he looked over my shoulder and said, "boy, that's really slow!"
Now I have no need to lie to the nice tech people. They help me out of scrapes and tough problems all the time. But I have complained about the slowness of my machine at this particular school for quite some time and I guess they all assumed that I was trying to see if they would look my way so I could get a smile or something. For him to validate that the computer was indeed dinosaur-ish he needed to see it for himself, thereby invalidating my observation. Heavy sigh.
Anyway, he removed me from my chair, did three finger salute and began to fiddle. I really have no idea what he did do (except remove a perfectly lovely background screen which I can't believe would have had anything to do with it's slowness). It seemed to work slightly faster the rest of the day and I was and am grateful. But why did he have to be there to witness the sluggish behavior? Did he really think I didn't have anything better to do than complain? Anyway, the computer at the one school is now somewhat faster than the other school. But the other school has a better keyboard. Maybe I'll see a tech guy tomorrow and he can change the keyboard. Or maybe I'll just be satisfied for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment