Friday, December 24, 2010

Santa and ?

I've had a song in my head for the last two days. It's an old Santa tune, something like this: Here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane. It's a jaunty number and has a bunch of verses. But the part I remember for some reason (whatever those quirky synapses are doing in my head is beyond me)is the verse which has the following: Let's give thanks to the Lord above (pause) 'Cause Santa Claus comes tonight. Now before you think I'm going to rant and rave about the fact that Santa and the Lord are mentioned in the same song, think again. I see nothing wrong with them being in the same song. I see nothing wrong with them being linked in the same season if the truth be told. And since this is my blog, this is my truth. I'm all for Santa. I loved the story of him for years. When the movie came out which supposedly explained where all the myth and legends originated, I watched rapt as it was laid out for me. I loved all of that stuff because it was hopeful, fun, and exciting. But for me and my faith, I love the fact that we are giving thanks for such a wonder-filled time of year. It's full of joy and hope and excitement. Yes, the kids are excited for presents, too. I get that. But in most of the houses I have been to, there is a Nativity scene as well. And there is a sense of anticipation there as well, whether you accept that Jesus is coming again or that he came before and you're just excited about that (some people don't want to acknowledge the ramifications of the coming again). I can't fault people for their joy in whatever fashion. I just can't. At this time of year, to feel hope and happiness is the underlining to the Good News. And if that makes us give thanks to the Lord above for anything, then I say that is good news indeed.

No comments: