For those that know about the animal I'm about to speak of, I'll let you know that she is fine. Probably better than fine. She is eating all her wet cat food, peeing and pooping in all the designated areas (more or less) and still sleeping at least 19 hours a day. What could be wrong? Life is good. If you are the cat.
I was wondering just today what it is about this animal that vexes me so. I hear her little collar bell tinkle, tinkle, tinkle and I grit my teeth. I hear the clicking of her nails on the floor (which tells me she needs them clipped again) and I find myself either counting to 10 before going into the next room or getting on the computer and playing 700 rounds of solitaire. So I decided to just stop being annoyed by her existence for a few minutes and become a rational human and think this through.
When we first brought her home, she was an affectionate thing. Always wanted to be in your lap, purring constantly, following you around from room to room. She began to glom onto my husband shortly thereafter. If he sat down on the couch to watch TV, she would jump up on his lap and settle herself there. My husband is a cat lover from way back, so he just let her. It's seventeen years later and she still jumps in his lap, but now she can't seem to get comfortable for at least 20 minutes, turning, stretching, readjusting her position, licking (oh, let's not forget the licking) and not just herself is she bathing, she bathes whatever is in proximity to her nose, my husband's shirt, his chin, the couch and occasionally herself. Twenty minutes! Someone, usually me, can't take it after five, and she is removed from the couch. She wanders around the house for a few minutes, forgets that someone removed her and jumps back up to start the cycle all over again. Now, because she is 17, I am assuming that she forgets. But in all the time we have had her, she has a habit of repeating behavior that is obviously annoying to me. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but really, she has been like this since we had her, so I'm not sure senility is the problem.
She used to jump up on the counters to see what was in the garbage bag. Nothing would deter her; balloons, aluminum foil, nothing. The only deterrent which seemed to work for a while was me losing my temper out of all proportion and screaming at her and smacking her tail end. She was sufficiently terrorized for a while to stop jumping up. But suddenly I would come home one afternoon from work and there she would be again--on the counter and looking like a deer in the headlights because--OH GOD that crazy lady caught me again. We solved the problem somewhat by putting the garbage bag in the microwave, but then that began to smell and well, anyway, I should be able to leave the bag out without having to protect it like some rare gem.
Her favorite ploy is to sit or lay somewhere in the middle of things and when a person, almost always me, begins to move around, she either jumps up and tangles herself in my legs or I step on her, because I didn't see her. I really don't like hurting animals in any way, but that screech she gives out makes my blood run cold. I feel like I've just tortured her and am more careful until the next time. And there is always a next time.
Today I am home taking care of a few things and battling the sniffles. She has run back and forth from room to room several times, that damn tinkling bell accompanying her jaunts. It's driving me crazy!
So I'm trying to devise a reason to go out. Any reason. So I don't have to listen to that sound or the screech when she sits under my legs and I move. I'm developing bad nerves. And I think she knows it. Senility my eye!
No comments:
Post a Comment