Thursday, April 19, 2012

Fixing the World

I get emails once in a while from various and sundry resources that claim they have the answer to the world's problems. Whether it's the economy of the United States, the civil unrest in Spain or the global warming melting the polar ice caps, someone has the answer. And yet, and yet...we are still in the mess we're in. The US hasn't solved their "universal health care problem", Iran is still contemplating blowing up the world yet still remaining true to it's Islam tenets (how does that work?), and the mess in Afghanistan isn't getting any less complicated. I sometimes wish the world was like a snow-globe. You could shake it a few times and the stuff inside would resettle into something else. How do we fix all that is wrong? And is the world a worse place than it was a decade ago or does it just seem that way? Was the world even 30 or 50 years ago such a mixed up mess? I don't know. And I don't know how to fix it either. Pundits with plausible ideas spew out nightly their wisdom. But why isn't anyone really doing anything to "right the wrongs" or "bridge the gap" or whatever euphemism you happen to like? And where does it end? Does it end with a new administration? With a new dictator? With a new guru? Even a new religion? Pondering these things maker me feel helpless and a little hopeless too, if you want to know. Who do you listen to? Who is right? I'm not the most well-read person about politics and world situations but do I have to be? Is there someone who is well-read enough to actually DO something? The rhetoric during a political campaign is useless. People spouting they will do this and they will do that...I don't think we can bank on them doing any of those things in reality. So what do we do? What can we do? I don't have the answer (not that I expected to have one), but it's kind of depressing that no one else does either. I'm just saying...

No comments: