Friday, April 27, 2012

Life in the Slow Lane

I imagine the song for this being somewhat sluggish as opposed to the driving beat of the "Life in the Fast Lane". The slow lane is for those of us who want to stop the world and get off, and meander through the woods looking at wild flowers. The slow lane is for those of us who wander through Wal-Mart not only looking at the bargains, but the bargain hunters who are almost as entertaining as the bargains! The slow lane if for those who start walking down the street in the direction of the shopping district and end up on some back street marveling at the way the azaleas are blooming already and in such magnificent shades of magenta! In short, the slow lane is for those who have time to appreciate things around them without whizzing through while on the way to soccer practice or piano lessons. Of course, the slow lane can be for those who are taking piano lessons at an advanced age and finding it more fun to figure out how to play Mairse Doats instead of Chopin's something or other. It might sounds as though I'm retired, but I'm not. Though I would like to be. But I'm just observing how sometimes life in the slow lane has it advantages. It's harder to get riled up over something when you take your time to think about it instead of just reacting. It's easier to smile at little kids who are carrying on to beat the band, then grumbling about the noise they're making when you take time to consider that they won't be doing this forever. I'm not at the point yet, where the slow lane has taken over my thinking. But it's creeping up on me and I like that in a way. I find I have time to savor things when I really take the time to do so. When I'm conscious of deciding to slow down, I think I feel better about things. So I'm going to try and do that more. Because life in the slow lane is surely gonna make my day!

No comments: