The words to holiday songs are one of the reasons I sing them, even though I have been informed by numerous friends (and family, too) that I'm off key. I really do love to sing songs at this time of the year. When I hear the words to "I'll Be Home for Christmas", it reminds me of my father who said the servicemen hated this song when they were overseas in WWII because they knew they wouldn't be. The words to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" seem like they are fine and upbeat until you hear the haunting melody which tells you that perhaps the singer isn't so thrilled with the holiday this year. The Chipmunks sang a variety of songs from a few albums, but "Hang Up Your Stocking" is the one that makes me think of my older brother, bobbing his head along to the chorus. My daughter makes a mix CD every year of Christmas songs for me and this year in the collection was "Do You Hear What I Hear?" sung by a male group interspersed with Baba O'Reilly. It was fantastic! I've played that over and over until my husband shuffles quietly out of the room, mumbling something.
Before my daughter made mix CDs though, I made a couple myself. The one that seems to be the family staple (or the one they either love or detest the most, I suppose) has a compilation of some standard favorites sung by Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Johnny Mathis and the Muppets (from a Muppet Christmas Carol). It is the one I hide after the holidays so that I can bring it out around November each year and play it repeatedly before the new CD is received. I can sing along to every single one of those songs. A few years ago, I added a song to the repertoire, "Christmas Stays The Same." It was a version sung by Linda Eder-I think that's how you spell her name. And when I finally learned the lyrics, I decided that this was my new favorite Christmas song.
Here are the words:
Santa Claus and mistletoe,
Carols by the fire
Send a card and spread a little Christmas cheer.
Silent night, a fall of snow
Listen to the choir,
Everyone is happy that it's here.
For we all remember, some past December
Of tinsel and holly and people we love.
Put the angel on the tree then enjoy the view.
Wait until the children are asleep and then
Put together all the toys,
Hide a gift or two
Wishing you were just a kid again.
For we all remember, some past December
Of train sets that whistled and dolls we could name.
Oh the years may change
But Christmas stays the same.
Turkey and gravy,
Hams full of honey
Cousins you see once a year,
Fathers who scold you,
Then slip you some money
And roofs full of tiny reindeer.
Yes we all remember some past December;
Of grandmas and kitchens with kettles aflame.
Oh the years may change
But Christmas stays the same
Of course the music is lilting and wonderful and I get all misted up at the last, "Yes, we all remember some past December," because each and every time I remember all those Christmases ago, from long past and recent past and they blend together in one giant Christmas carol. It's sung in harmony and slightly off key, but it couldn't be any more beautiful than the angels that first Christmas in my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment