I want to write about my brothers. Not just because I love them, as I hope they are aware. I want you to know something about them because they are wonderful men and the world would be less if they were not here.
My older brother shares an awful lot of things with me in terms of hearing deficiencies, tastes in books, slow but determined understanding of a problem and dry humor. He is kind. His writing style is packed. Packed with eloquent descriptions and touching humaneness. He wanders about here and there in his writings, but I can follow his tracks and not get lost in the prose. His love and kindnesses flow through his life, his writing and his laughter. I am always enriched with his conversations which are never enough and his e-mails which are infrequent due to his busy schedules.
My younger brother shares a lot of things with me too. We are the two younger siblings, the "sweetie twins" dubbed by the older pair. Partners in play and laughter, we can find joy in music, books, buildings, flowers and each other. He hasn't had much time lately to get to the sweet spot of joy, but he knows its there in his undulating laugh and that sparkle in his "dad" laden eyes. His creativity and vision is so impressive to me. He may not write for a living(although he could--he is excellent with words), but the eloquence he uses with lines and angles speaks entire libraries. He is also full of love and kindness and compassion. We don't talk much either, he is so very busy treading these days. But when we do, we are sitting out back of the old house once again, watching clouds and making observations and I'm home again.
I spoke with them both yesterday--a very rare occurrence and I was reminded that though we share roots and a past, we also have a friendship in the present and future. There are so many strands of our lives which intertwine with each other, that make each other more than what we would be alone. I could not be who I am with others without my brothers. And I think that is a very good thing.
So Happy Brother's Day, guys. Love ya.
3 comments:
Awwwww, shucks...
...but "slow but determined understanding"?!? SLOW?!?
Grrrrr...
But let it be known, that you were and are the "sweetie-er" of the pair. The sweetness with which you do view life is present in you, always. You may feel embittered by a circumstance, but it doesn't reduce your ability to take bitterness away from others - even in your toughest of times. It seems innate. For that I am surely grateful. Your generousity of spirit makes it easy to be both a brother and a friend. Thanks.
Ya, see JES, we come to an understanding of something after examining all angles, thinking it over, percolating it as it were in our minds. To others this seems slow, to us it seems reasoned and insightful...SEE?
And Mike, thank you, I needed to hear that very much today.
Post a Comment